There is an extensive scientific literature about furniture and flame retardants. To facilitate your research, we have collected some material here. However, this does not represent an exhaustive list.
• Flame retardants in UK furniture increase smoke toxicity more than they reduce fire growth rate - Chemosphere 2017 - Sean McKenna, Robert Birtles, Kathryn Dickens, Richard Walker, Michael Spearpoint, Anna A. Stec, T. Richard Hull,
• Phosphorus flame retardants: properties, production, environmental occurrence, toxicity and analysis - Chemosphere 2012 - Van der Veen I, de Boer J.
• Use of alternative assays to identify and prioritize organophosphorus flame retardants for potential developmental and neurotoxicity - Neurotoxicol Teratol 2015
Behl M, Hsieh JH, Shafer TJ, Mundy WR, Rice JR, Boyd WA, Freedman JH, Hunter ES 3rd, Jarema KA, Padilla S, Tice RR.
• Comparative neurotoxicity screening in human iPSC-derived neural stem cells, neurons and astrocytes - Brain Research 2016
Pei Y, Peng J, Behl M, Sipes NS, Shockley KR, Rao MS, Tice RR, Zeng X.
• Organophosphorus flame retardants and plasticizers: sources, occurrence, toxicity and human exposure - Environmental Pollution 2015
Wei GL, Li DQ, Zhuo MN, Liao YS, Xie ZY, Guo TL, Li JJ, Zhang SY, Liang ZQ.
• After the PBDE phase-out: a broad suite of flame retardants in repeat house dust samples from California - Environmental Science & Technology 2012 - Dodson RE, Perovich LJ, Covaci A, Van den Eede N, Ionas AC, Dirtu AC, Brody JG, Rudel RA.
• Legacy and alternative halogenated flame retardants in human milk in Europe: Implications for children's health - Environmental International 2017
Cechová E, Vojta S, Kukucka P, Kocan A, Trnovec T, Murínová LP, de Cock M, van de Bor M, Askevold J, Eggesbø M, Scheringer M.
• Sources and human exposure implications of concentrations of organophosphate flame retardants in dust from UK cars, classrooms, living rooms, and offices - Environmental International 2015 - Brommer S, Harrad S.
• Flame Retardant Chemicals in College Dormitories: Flammability Standards Influence Dust Concentrations - Environmental Science & Technology 2017
Dodson RE, Rodgers KM, Carey G, Cedeno Laurent JG, Covaci A, Poma G, Malarvannan G, Spengler JD, Rudel RA, Allen JG.
•Legacy and alternative flame retardants in Norwegian and UK indoor environment: Implications of human exposure via dust ingestion - Environmental International 2017 - Kademoglou K, Xu F, Padilla-Sanchez JA, Haug LS, Covaci A, Collins CD.
• Sex Specific Placental Accumulation and Behavioral Effects of Developmental Firemaster 550 Exposure in Wistar Rats - Scientific Reports 2017
Baldwin KR, Phillips AL, Horman B, Arambula SE, Rebuli ME, Stapleton HM, Patisaul HB.
• Inhalation a significant exposure route for chlorinated organophosphate flame retardants - Chemosphere 2016 - Erika D, Schreder A, Nancy Uding, Mark J, La Guardia.
•Results from Screening Polyurethane Foam Based Consumer Products for Flame Retardant Chemicals: Assessing Impacts on the Change in the Furniture Flammability Standards - Environmental Science Technology 2016 - Cooper EM, Kroeger G, Davis K, Clark CR, Ferguson PL, Stapleton HM
• Consumer Product Chemicals in Indoor Dust: A Quantitative Meta-analysis of U.S. Studies - Environmental Science & Technology 2016
Susanna D. Mitro, Robin E. Dodson, Veena Singla, Gary Adamkiewicz, Angelo F. Elmi, Monica K. Tilly, and Ami R. Zota
• Comprehensive Study of Human External Exposure to Organophosphate Flame Retardants via Air, Dust, and Hand Wipes: The Importance of Sampling and Assessment Strategy - Environmental Science & Technology 2016 - Xu F, Giovanoulis G, van Waes S, Padilla-Sanchez JA, Papadopoulou E, Magnér J, Haug LS, Neels H, Covaci A.
• Emerging and legacy flame retardants in UK human milk and food suggest slow response to restrictions on use of PBDEs and HBCDD - Environmental International 2017 - Tao F, Abou-Elwafa Abdallah M, Ashworth DC, Douglas P, Toledano MB, Harrad S.
• Organophosphate esters flame retardants in the indoor environment - Environmental International 2017 - Vykoukalová M, Venier M, Vojta S, Melymuk L, Becanová J, Romanak K, Prokes R, Okeme JO, Saini A, Diamond ML, Klánová J.
• Dust from U.K. Primary School Classrooms and Daycare Centers: The Significance of Dust As a Pathway of Exposure of Young U.K. Children to Brominated Flame Retardants and Polychlorinated Biphenyls - Environmental Science & Technology 2010 - Harrad S, Goosey E, Desborough J, Abdallah MAE, Roosens L, Covaci A.
• Adipogenic Effects and Gene Expression Profiling of Firemaster® 550 Components in Human Primary Preadipocytes - Environmental Health Perspectives 2017 - Tung EWY, Peshdary V, Gagné R, Rowan-Carroll A, Yauk CL, Boudreau A, Atlas E.
• Urinary Concentrations of Organophosphate Flame Retardant Metabolites and Pregnancy Outcomes among Women Undergoing in Vitro Fertilization - Environmental Health Perspectives 2017 - Carignan CC, Mínguez-Alarcón L, Butt CM, Williams PL, Meeker JD, Stapleton HM, Toth TL, Ford JB, Hauser R; EARTH Study Team.
• Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (flame retardants) in mother-infant pairs in the Southeastern U.S. - International Journal of Environmental Health Research 2017 - Terry P, Towers CV, Liu LY, Peverly AA, Chen J, Salamova A.
• Flame retardants. The case for policy change - Environment & Human Health 2013 - Wargo J, Alderman N, Wargo L, Bradley JM, Addiss S.